National Youth Orchestra of Canada | Orchestre National Des Jeunes Canada

Student Blog / Blogue des Étudiants 

We've selected a team of student bloggers to give you an inside look at the NYOC training session and tour.  Check back here for frequent updates! 

Nous avons sélectionné un groupe d’étudiants qui rédigeront des blogues sur les séances de formation et la tournée de l’ONJC. Revenez nous visiter pour lire les mises à jour périodiques!

Viewing posts created during August of 2009

Au revoir...

Andréanne Chartier-LabrecqueÀ mon grand regret, la session 2009 de l’orchestre est déjà terminée…

J’ai vraiment apprécié mon été et ce, tant pour la musique que pour les gens. Tous les musiciens et membres du personnel étaient supers. Comme on dit, « on était une belle gang! ». J’irais même jusqu’à dire que j’ai préféré cet été au précédent…peut-être parce que c’était ma deuxième année ou peut-être tout simplement parce que tout s’est déroulé à merveille! Qui sait?

Un programme très enrichissant!

L’orchestre national des jeunes du Canada est à mon avis un programme dont tous les jeunes musiciens canadiens, durant leur formation, devraient faire partie puisque le fait d’y prendre part est une expérience très enrichissante! Nous y apprenons d’ailleurs à jouer en section avec des musiciens qui ne partagent pas tous la même esthétique de jeu. Nous avons aussi la chance d’expérimenter les différentes positions à l’orchestre, ainsi que les différentes responsabilités qui y sont rattachées. Nous abordons des œuvres que nous n’auront peut-être jamais la chance de rejouer puisqu’un orchestre formé d’autant de musiciens ne se trouve pas facilement. Nous apprenons à vivre en groupe et nous pouvons aussi perfectionner notre seconde langue (Ce qui est surtout le cas pour nous, francophones, puisque la plupart des activités se déroulent en anglais), car francophones et anglophones se côtoient tout au long de la session. Une session de six semaines peut vous paraître courte, mais c‘est juste assez long pour nous permettre de créer des liens, des liens avec des amis et probablement de futurs collègues, qui proviennent de partout au Canada!

Un retour …

La fin d’un programme d’été implique bien entendu le retour à la « vie normale ». En fait, tout changement de milieu implique une adaptation. À mon arrivée à l’orchestre, j’ai dû m’habituer à cohabiter avec plus de cent autres personnes et maintenant, c’est l’inverse puisque je dois me réhabituer à vivre normalement. Ce retour peut être positif, car nous retrouvons notre lit, notre maison ou notre appartement et nos proches. Cependant, cela peut s’avérer plus difficile lorsque vient le temps de quitter tous ces gens, ces amitiés que nous avons crées ou lorsque reviennent les responsabilités. Je parle ici du fait de recommencer à faire le ménage, à faire l’épicerie, certains retournent au travail et bien sûr, nous devons tous recommencer à pratiquer…oui, oui! Entre vous et moi, pendant la tournée, nous jouons énormément, mais nous ne pratiquons pas beaucoup!

Nous ne le réalisons probablement pas tous, mais à mon avis, ces étés à l’ONJC auront fait partie des plus beaux moments que nous aurons vécus.

Merci de nous avoir suivis tout au long de cette aventure musicale!


Posted: August 27, 2009 at 09:50 AM
By: Andréanne Chartier-Labrecque
(0) Comment/s
Until next time!

Daniel Fuchs, violinIt would be impossible to summarize my entire NYOC experience in a blog entry. The experience I gained this summer is priceless. I'll admit, it was nice to arrive home and to sleep in my own bed, but it feels a bit weird settling back into my regular routing at home.

The thing I miss most about the NYOC is the people. I will never forget the friends I made this summer and our countless hours together in and out of rehearsal. I will never forget our amazing faculty and staff. It would have been impossible to get anything done without their help. They kept us organized and on track. Last but not least, I will never forget Mr. Alain Trudel, who spent six weeks away from his family to be our conductor.

It was great to have such a sympathetic conductor. He was a friend to us all. He understands what it's like to be an orchestral musician, and treated us with care. He did his best not to overwork us, and he was very supportive of those of us who were injured. He made rehearsals and recording sessions fun instead of tedious, with his great sense of humour. Our 9-hour recording session was over before we knew it, thanks to his efficiency.

Speaking of the recording session; it was a great experience. I will listen to recordings differently now that I understand how easy it is to fix flaws here and there. We worked with an amazing sound producer, who seemed to know the score of Mahler 6 as well as our conductor. And then there was the web broadcast. I'll admit, the first time I saw the huge crane, I was a bit intimidated. Many times, I felt like my bow would hit the hovering camera, but as our conductor promised, it never did. These experiences will be very useful for any studio work we do in the future.

The concert tour was a great way to end our learning experience. It was very well organized. We had the opportunity to play in union halls such as Roy Thompson in Toronto and the National Arts Centre in Ottawa. It felt amazing to perform in the same halls that the professionals use. We didn't have much free time in between concerts, but when we did, my favourite thing to do was go swimming. We had the fortune of staying in very nice hotels during the tour, and a dip in the hot tub was just what I needed to relax.

By the end of the tour I was exhausted, but the lack of sleep only really hit me when I got home. For a couple days I was good for nothing. I miss the NYOC, but I will have to move on. The good news is that there are exciting plans for next year. I can say without hesitation that this was one of the best summers of my life and it was an experience definitely worth repeating. I would love to be a part of it again next year and I will certainly be auditioning!

Posted: August 17, 2009 at 04:39 PM
By: Daniel Fuchs
(0) Comment/s
This is the End

Elizabeth Massi, violaWell, there sure was a nice two week break in blog updates which just happened to coincide with our tour eh? I can explain. I was having so much fun that I really didn’t feel like pulling out my laptop to write a blog. In fact, at least half of my possessions didn’t get unpacked for two weeks. I thought I would be smart this year and bring two smaller bags that I could load onto my back, instead of a suitcase which would bind me to taking the elevator. I was laughing when we got to Ottawa and I took eight flights of stairs and beat my roommates up there by a good 15 minutes, but who was laughing when I would have to dig through a bag to find something while they just opened a suitcase and voilà, everything is visible?

I could go on and on with how much I loved the repertoire this year, but I will only say a few quick things: Mahler really grew on me and I fell in love with that symphony; finally performing the Rite of Spring was a dream come true, and; playing the Mambo from West Side Story gave me an uncontrollable grin.

Thinking back on the tour, there were so many highlights! I had so much fun playing in Stratford. Isabel Bayrakdarian made playing Rossini arias fun. I typically hate vocalists, but there are maybe 3 in Canada that I love hearing more than any other musicians, and she is one of them. The audience in Stratford was so appreciative that they applauded between Haydn movements and even part-way through the Bernstein! I know it’s not “proper” concert etiquette but there’s nothing wrong with being appreciative. I just felt bad for the audience sitting next to the viola section. Because of the space, the drum kit was put on our side of the orchestra, so right before the Bernstein, people not 6 feet away from us watched in horror while we put in our ear plugs.

The recording process in Montreal was painless. Usually the word “recording” is synonymous with “boring” and “pulling teeth”, but it was over before we knew it. I heard from an inside source that the first edit of The Rite of Spring sounds great, even though that piece wasn’t supposed to be on our CD; you see, we accidentally recorded it. They pulled enough good parts out of our webcast concert that we only needed to do a session that night to finish it. Speaking of the webcast, that was so cool! It’s a nice compromise when the orchestra can’t make it to every town and hamlet that the members are from. The only part that I didn’t like about the webcast was the very end. We finished a great concert, stood up while the conductor was bowing, and there was this weird silence where there should be an audience applauding. AWKWARD MOMENT!

All in all, the worst part of the tour was the end of it. We had quite possibly our best concert in Toronto at the Roy Thompson Hall. The audience wouldn’t stop clapping, even after two encores and a million bows. By the time I finally got back to our green room, there were tears pouring down so many faces. Standing in a room full of people wearing all black and given the amount of crying, you’d think it was a funeral. It is, in a way, as if someone died. Of course the 2009 National Youth Orchestra will live on in memories, the webcast and the CD/DVD, but as a live orchestra, it’s over. Anyway, it’s been a fantastic summer and I will miss this orchestra tremendously, but I don’t feel sad; I feel excited for my future and my future will hopefully include many of you!

Posted: August 10, 2009 at 09:54 AM
By: Elizabeth Massi
(2) Comment/s
Dear NYOC...

Alex Dyck, keyboard

It may be a little early to admit this, but with just one day’s separation from our time together in the past six weeks, everyday things seem suddenly, somehow a little different. I know it’s better that we learn to be apart for now, but I just couldn’t help but tell you how I’ve been feeling.

I wanted to thank you first for the people you brought into my life. The staff and students made me feel over and over that I was part of something special and unique. It’s like we were the isotopes that produce nuclear reactions under ideal conditions, except that instead of isotopes we were people and instead of electricity and radiation we produced great music. You know, music and people both have the power to change the world and, when we focussed our efforts together, we were unstoppable.

Believe it or not, you were my first fling with a summer training program. I still can’t believe I put you off for so long. Your goal of bridging the gap between my schoolwork in music and my incipient professional career has been so helpful that it feels a bit one-sided considering that all I had to do for you was audition. I’ll never forget my first symphony performance with you, my first set of professional programme notes, even my first ever online blog. Ever since the day that you tumbled into my life, NYOC, you’ve shown me nothing but love. Now that it’s over, I can’t be sorry that we’re through but only glad that it happened.

The new experiences that you brought into my life didn’t just occur to me as events. They left their mark in terms of clarity and reaffirmation surrounding my love for music and what I believe in the bottom of my heart that I can do with it. What I really loved about you was how you always dared me to believe in myself when we were together. I looked forward to every day we spent hoping that I was able to return your generosity. Oh, NYOC, the intimate details of what we did are all over the papers and the internet, but please try to think of that as a small price to pay for the great times we shared.

When I looked up at the stars tonight, I couldn’t help but wonder if you were looking out and thinking exactly the same thing. I want you to know that my memories of you will always be a beacon for me of a time and place when things were just right.

It’s been a good run, NYOC. Thanks for everything.

Sincerely yours,


Posted: August 10, 2009 at 09:49 AM
By: Alexander Dyck
(1) Comment/s
Au revoir London!

Andréanne Chartier-LabrecqueNous sommes présentement en train de vivre les tous derniers moments de l’édition 2009 de l’orchestre national des jeunes…

Mais d’abord, parlons un peu de la vie de tournée! Nos concerts ont débutés le 23 juillet et depuis, à bord de nos deux autobus voyageurs, nous parcourons l’Ontario et le Québec.

Cette vie de tournée est très enrichissante puisque certains en sont à leur première expérience. Nous devons d’abord apprendre à vivre dans nos valises, à être ponctuels (même à 7h30 le matin…!), à s’entraider lors du rangement du matériel, à vivre en colocation (puisque nous sommes quatre par chambre) et finalement, à gérer nos soirées afin d’être toujours à notre maximum lors des performances…ce qui peut parfois s’avérer difficile!

La tournée, un travail d’équipe

L’orchestre partage deux autobus qui sont d’ailleurs utilisés à leur pleine capacité! Les deux chauffeurs qui nous accompagnent sont très sympathiques…le nôtre a d’ailleurs de très jolies cravates (plus de 250!) qu’il change à tous les jours! Depuis notre départ de London, nous sommes allés à Stratford, Kingston, Ottawa, Saint-Jovite, Montréal, Kitchener et nous sommes maintenant à Toronto. Nous avons donc dû passer de nombreuses heures à bord de ces véhicules. Certains profitent de ces heures afin de dormir un peu (enfin…essayer!), d’autres écoutent de la musique, naviguent sur internet (Oui, oui!), ou écoutent des films, de grands films! Je blague! Jusqu’à maintenant, ces films n’ont pas tous eu un grand succès! Voyager c’est bien beau, mais ça implique aussi de décharger les autobus à notre arrivée. Afin d’accélérer ce processus, des groupes de musiciens sont formés. Ainsi, tour à tour, nous procédons à cette tâche! Ces groupes sont déterminés par le numéro qu’on nous a attribué afin de procéder à la prise de présence avant chaque départ, car il ne faudrait pas oublier un musicien à l’hôtel! Oui, oui, à l’hôtel! Nous avons la chance d’être logés dans les hôtels Delta. J’utilise le mot chance puisqu’il n’en a pas toujours été ainsi. Il y a à peine quelques années, l’orchestre était hébergé dans différentes résidences universitaires. Nous pouvons donc nous considérer choyés, car nous avons aussi accès à la salle d’entraînement, à la piscine et à tous les services offerts dans chaque hôtel.

Depuis notre départ, tous les concerts se sont très bien déroulés. Afin de s’assurer de la meilleure performance possible, une générale précède chacun des concerts. Nous pouvons alors ajuster la balance des différentes sections de l’orchestre et s’habituer à la nouvelle disposition de la scène puisqu’elles sont toutes différentes! Nouvelle acoustique et nouvelle disposition! Nous avons vu de tout! L’orchestre s’est produit dans un gymnase converti en salle de concert, dans des églises (parfois petites et simples, parfois plutôt imposantes) et dans de vraies salles de concert. Cette capacité d’adaptation fait aussi partie du bagage que nous offre l’orchestre puisque nous devrons, tout au long de notre carrière, vivre avec ces changements constants.

Un séjour bien rempli!

Nous avons eu la chance de passer environ quatre jours à Montréal. Certains pourraient penser que nous nous sommes bien reposés…mais non! Nous avons d’abord eu la chance, le 31 juillet, d’enregistrer la pièce de Rob Teehan ainsi que la 6e symphonie de Mahler dans le tout nouveau studio MMR de la faculté de musique de l’université McGill. Quelle belle expérience! Cette journée de neuf heures d’enregistrement me paraissait un peu courte vu l’énorme quantité de travail à accomplir. À ma grande surprise, le tout fut rendu possible et ce, grâce à la structure et au sens de l‘organisation de notre chef, Alain. Le lendemain, nous avions un concert à St-Jovite et le 2 août, nous retournions au studio MMR afin de procéder à la captation web du Moussa, du Bernstein ainsi que du Stravinsky. Cette performance est d’ailleurs disponible sur le site internet sous l’onglet « webcast » de « voir et entendre ». Ce fut là aussi une très belle expérience puisque nous devions attendre, pour ensuite être prêts à jouer à tout moment! Il était cependant un peu insécurisant de ne pas pouvoir jouer entre les pièces puisque certains, comme moi, devaient changer d’instrument entre les œuvres. Encore une fois, cette expérience fait partie de notre apprentissage de la vie de musicien. Le lendemain, pour clore notre séjour, nous avions un concert à la Basilique Notre-Dame de Montréal…quel bel endroit!

Un peu de repos!

Après avoir fait six heures d’autobus, nous sommes maintenant à Toronto et ce, jusqu’à la fin de la tournée. Mercredi, soit le 5 août, nous avons eu droit à une journée de congé complète. Certains en ont profité pour faire la visite de la tour du CN, du marché St-Lawrence, du port, de certains jardins et parcs, du quartier chinois, et d’autres, de différents musées…impossible de s’ennuyer! Ma trouvaille de la journée…des litchis à 0.39$ la livre! Wow!

Quelques derniers instants…

Hier soir avait lieu notre dernier concert du Ravel, Moussa, Bernstein et Stravinsky. Nous avons eu la chance de le présenter dans une merveilleuse salle, Center in the Square, à Kitchener.

Au moment où j’écris ces derniers mots, certains d’entre nous allons à la radio afin de présenter une Sérénade de Strauss en direct et ce, avant d’aller à la générale du dernier concert de la tournée…

À bientôt!


Posted: August 5, 2009 at 10:23 AM
By: Andréanne Chartier-Labrecque
(0) Comment/s

RSS Feed | Student Blog / Blogue des Étudiants